Author Topic: Idea for next gen mouse translation  (Read 2059 times)

Garais

Idea for next gen mouse translation
« on: February 06, 2022, 07:55:58 AM »
Hi, devs!
Would like to share my idea about mouse translation to analog stick...
So currently mouse movement speed is relative to stick position, this method doesn`t allow make snapping muscle memory... Lots of games have acceleration, dual-zone sensitivities, and maximum sensitivity without acceleration boost is too slow to be usable by this method..
So my idea is smarter translation, so we could calibrate it by percents of stick actuation and how much time it takes to make 360 turn in milliseconds
100% takes 600ms 360 deg turn,
50% takes 2000ms 360
25% takes 5000ms 360
We push in-app what percentage we calibrate, push any button when approx 360, fine-tune by the amount in ms...
We set in how many pixels/cm we want to make 360 turns.
When we move the mouse by 5cm we want for example to turn by 100 deg, and then it calculates out the fastest method to turn 100 deg, then the output would be like - 100% 150ms and 20% 30ms, it`s just an example... Of course, that would need lots of calculations and processing speed, responsiveness is needed as well... All these calculations and executions need to be done in couple milliseconds not to lose responsiveness of course...
Hopefully, I wrote my idea understandably. And if you guys like my idea you are free to use it if so :)

richard

• Global Moderator
Re: Idea for next gen mouse translation
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2022, 11:27:46 PM »
Hi Garais,
Thanks for sharing your great ideas!
in fact, we have added a similar strategy in our mouse Engine:)
mouse speed has a linear relationship with the turning speed in game now, more detial can be found here:
http://www.reasnow.com/download/ReaSnowApp/Optimizing%20Mouse%20Control.pdf